Second Laparoscopy: Day 33 post-op

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Just before a bowel movement, I took 600mg ibuprofen. The pain was worse right before the bowel movement, and settled down after.

Throughout the day, I was able to be up and out of bed.

That day, my chosen sister’s husband phoned me to tell me that my sister had lost her baby. She was nine weeks pregnant, and less than a week earlier had announced it to everyone. I broke down and cried.
So January 5, January 15 and January 19, people I know lost their babies, all for different health-related reasons, at different stages (two in utero, one newborn). Two are endo sisters. The third is my chosen sister, who does not have endo, but who is RH positive and has had to take RhoGAM shots during each pregnancy. Her doctor assured her the RH factor likely had nothing to do with it, and that she did nothing wrong – just that sometimes development just stops. But of course she’s devastated. Three women I care about have been basket cases this past month for good reason, and then there’s my dying co-worker. I really have cried a lot this month for people.

I worked on homework on Day 33, sitting at the kitchen table on a hard wooden chair. Around
5:40pm, a migraine set in. I am not prone to migraines, but this past week I had been back on narcotics (Tylenol 3) for menstrual pain, so perhaps that is what kicked up the migraine.

I had to stop my homework because I had developed light sensitivity on top of the crushing head pain. A shower did not help. A heating pad to my face and head did not help. Shut-eye in a dark room with a heating pad over my eyes did not help. An endo sister suggested I try Zomig so I looked it up. I took 5-HTP instead, because I had it on hand, and it contains 5-HT. Similar enough, why not?

That damned migraine lasted until I drank caffeinated Irish tea and put a cold pack on my neck (thanks to endo sister Lhia-Clare!). At that point, the migraine downgraded to headache. It was 9:10pm – the migraine had lasted three and a half hours. Ouch.

At 10:30pm my husband massaged me, centering mostly on my upper back while I lay on my stomach.

Forty minutes later, at 11:10pm, I guessed I was having what we call my “last gasp” – a bloody spurt and lots of blood clots and pelvic pain, along with low back pain. I took a whole Tylenol 3 pill, applied multiple heating pads, and went to bed whimpering.

Comments are closed.